KARACHI: The Sindh High Court (SHC) called on Thursday for comments from the provincial home secretary, the inspector-general of prisons and others on a petition seeking transfer of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement’s convicted activist, Saulat Ali, from Karachi’s prison to the Mach jail.
The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Thursday directed provincial home secretary, IG prison and Superintendent Karachi central prison to submit their replies on a petition seeking transfer of a convicted activist of the Muttahida Quami Movement (MQM), Saulat Ali, from Mach Jail, Balochistan, back to Karachi central prison.
Farhat Ali Khan, brother of the convict, had approached the SHC against the provincial home secretary, IG prison and Superintendent Karachi central prison.
Khan told the judges that his brother, Saulat Ali alias Saulat Mirza, was sentenced to death by an anti-terrorism court in Karachi on May 24, 1999, which found him guilty of murdering the then managing director of the Karachi Electric Supply Company (KESC), Malik Shahid Hamid, his driver, Ashraf Brohi, and guard Khan Akbar on July 5, 1997 in the Defence Housing Authority area of Karachi.
According to the petitioner, the SHC and the Supreme Court had earlier dismissed appeals against the death penalty of the convict on January 21, 2000, and September 14, 2001, respectively, adding that Supreme Court also rejected the review appeal on March 9, 2004. However, the mercy appeal is pending before the president.
The petitioner complained that the respondents have shifted his brother to the Mach Jail in the second week of February without seeking having obtained an order of competent authority or any notification.
Since his removal from Karachi’s jail, the family is unaware about Saulat’s particulars and health, the lawyer said.
The petitioner said that Saulat Ali has been imprisoned since 1999 in the murder case, while mercy appeal is still pending with the presidency.
The petitioner pleaded to the court to order his transfer back to Karachi central prison.
Justice Sajjad Ali Shah, who headed the bench, issued notice to respondents and provincial law officer to file their comments by March 20.